After a long long long hiatus, and after threats to forever remember this blog by the previous post, I shall put up something here.
Well firstly, school's been tiring. The 3 day week of last sem was a holiday, seriously. The good thing is that there are less project work, so less time wasted on having a group of people sitting around a bench suffering from group-think. But on the other hand, that means all my assignments are a solo effort. Which means more self-discipline, more individual research and the like. I enjoy learning what I am studying now. Really. After two years of wondering what was I doing in Science in JC and another two years of service to my country, it really feels good to be engaged in things that interest me. But - there are always buts... - writing essays are just *insert frowning face or pull hair emoticon*. Trying to create something out of nothing is indeed challenging.
And thus if I ever got down to composing music, I think I would be an arranger, and not a composer. There is a difference. Arrangers just take an existing piece of music and put in some new instrumentation and arrangements and that's it. It is the composers who have to think of some new music that would excite people or reflect their mood or whatever it is that inspires them. It should also not sound vaguely like any piece of existing music, lest they get sued for copyright infringement, whereupon they are then "relegated" at best to the title of "arranger".
I think of all the Arts and Social Science disciplines, Social Work is probably the most practical and solution-oriented one. They really are in the business of solving real problems. On the other hand, students of political science, sociology and philosophy spend more time arguing over what the problem even is than trying to find solutions. There is nothing more dangerous than such students who are unemployed, because then they will have the time to start going around with all their funny idealistic ideas on life and society and politics and basically challenging the status quo.
Even right now, I cant help but take what I've learnt from my modules and apply them to what is happening in church. Church is a strange place in some ways. It is obviously not a bureaucracy. But it does have some kind of structure and hierarchy and management that operates both similarly and differently from the conventional models we learn about. While power and authority is the glue between each level of the hierarchy of secular structures, faith and trust are what keeps the different parts of the church structure together. Faith and trust are two very idealistic concepts in the world of social science. I suppose I could go deeper into this another time...
Well firstly, school's been tiring. The 3 day week of last sem was a holiday, seriously. The good thing is that there are less project work, so less time wasted on having a group of people sitting around a bench suffering from group-think. But on the other hand, that means all my assignments are a solo effort. Which means more self-discipline, more individual research and the like. I enjoy learning what I am studying now. Really. After two years of wondering what was I doing in Science in JC and another two years of service to my country, it really feels good to be engaged in things that interest me. But - there are always buts... - writing essays are just *insert frowning face or pull hair emoticon*. Trying to create something out of nothing is indeed challenging.
And thus if I ever got down to composing music, I think I would be an arranger, and not a composer. There is a difference. Arrangers just take an existing piece of music and put in some new instrumentation and arrangements and that's it. It is the composers who have to think of some new music that would excite people or reflect their mood or whatever it is that inspires them. It should also not sound vaguely like any piece of existing music, lest they get sued for copyright infringement, whereupon they are then "relegated" at best to the title of "arranger".
I think of all the Arts and Social Science disciplines, Social Work is probably the most practical and solution-oriented one. They really are in the business of solving real problems. On the other hand, students of political science, sociology and philosophy spend more time arguing over what the problem even is than trying to find solutions. There is nothing more dangerous than such students who are unemployed, because then they will have the time to start going around with all their funny idealistic ideas on life and society and politics and basically challenging the status quo.
Even right now, I cant help but take what I've learnt from my modules and apply them to what is happening in church. Church is a strange place in some ways. It is obviously not a bureaucracy. But it does have some kind of structure and hierarchy and management that operates both similarly and differently from the conventional models we learn about. While power and authority is the glue between each level of the hierarchy of secular structures, faith and trust are what keeps the different parts of the church structure together. Faith and trust are two very idealistic concepts in the world of social science. I suppose I could go deeper into this another time...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home