9.12.2009

Hmm.. I take back what I said in my previous post. It was said in a fit of frustration. However, I shall not delete it. There is no point having a blog that when you look back, all you see is nice and sweet posts. Sometimes, not-so-nice posts remind how far you have come from.

So anyway, has anybody realized that September 11 has come and gone? There used to be much attention on the anniversary and all the mass memorials held worldwide. But after a few years I think the world has pretty much moved on. We just have to live with it I guess.

I get very encouraged when people comment favourably on my keyboard playing. I have a tendency to not want to do something unless I am sure I can do it well. Playing keys was really a step of faith, and initially I felt like an impostor bluffing my way through practices and worship time. And though I'm not great at it and I fumble at many chords, but it is encouraging when people tell me they enjoyed the kind of rhythm I bring on the keys. Apparently they way I play is different from the traditional grade 1 to grade 8 pianist types. I attribute this to my background in band music. With more players than a contemporary band, band music is thus usually more thickly scored, with more rhythmic parts complementing the usual melody and bass lines. Some people think that playing the 2nd, or alto part is insignificant. But I disagree. It was there where I learned the most. It is where I learned how to harmonize, listen out to others, balance, tuning, and exposure to offbeats and other funny rhythms.

The geography lecturer keeps playing national day songs during the lecture break. Now I'm listening to them as well. All his fault. Haha..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home