You know how, when trying to get people to come to church on time, we have oftern heard something that goes like this: "if you were to meet the president, you would surely arrive on time. What more when you come to meet God, you should also be allowing plenty of time to arrive punctually, if not earlier." Well, before i carry on, I would like to say that I agree with the intention and yes, we ought to honour the Lord with our punctuality. However, I dont think this president analogy ought to be used. Because it would fall miserably short if I were to apply it to dressing. Imagine this: "if you were to meet the president, you would surely wear your best suit, iron your shirt, tie and re-tie your tie a million times, polish your shoes, comb your hair and put on your best make-up for the girls (and maybe some guys, i dont know). What more when you come to meet God, you should also be wearing......? FBT shorts? slippers? unshaved hair? Look like I've just got out of bed? See, the analogy just doesnt work here. For the record, i do not expect everybody to come in their Sunday best, but we shouldnt be dressed in our Sunday worst either. so why is it then, that when it comes to punctuality, we treat God as the all important figure whom we cannot afford to be late for, but when it comes to what we wear to church, we can treat Him as "friend friend la, never mind one!" does it mean that since we expect God to overlook they kind of clothes we wear, we could ask Him to overlook our lack of time keeping as well? after all, he is the God above all time, is He not? We've all heard of honouring the Lord with our punctuality, but what does it mean to honour Him with the way we dress in church? I dont want us to use analogies as and when it fits how we like it to fit, because that is just blatant double standards. If we want to encourage people to come on time, lets just use another method. I cant think of any now, but i just feel the most popular one used today isnt quite right.
12.07.2008
Previous Posts
- On Tuesday, or one of the days this week I cant re...
- "If there is anyone out there who still doubts tha...
- Okay, I've decided to change my blog skin to somet...
- Its quite amusing to hear aunties explaining to ea...
- Today i ran 10 rounds round the track. 4km of nons...
- I love the airport. it is the closest i can get to...
- I wonder how many people actually still read this ...
- "Dear three of you, I dug up my old phone to store...
- Havent been around for a while.. shall just write ...
- On saturday, i did something that i think i have n...
Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

2 Comments:
haha! my church ppl use that analogy to speak of dressing, and not of punctuality! opposites.
You know, on my first day at the church I'm attending now, I tried to dress up a little by wearing a blouse and jeans. And I felt underdressed. haha.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home