6.16.2011

I don't like loud noises and loud music. That by implication means I don't see the attractiveness of clubbing and other types of nightlife I am barely aware of. Yes I can almost hear the "what!? you're a 12-year AC boy.. how can you not know??" But I really don't. I know Christian worship concerts are the in-thing now. Thousands of young people in high energy worship, jumping up and down is I suppose relevant to gen Y. The lights, the smoke and the rush to the mosh pit in front, but who am I to pass judgement on their worship anyway? But I prefer not to squeeze in crowded areas. I sometimes wonder if I am weird; that I am out of touch with all this. Am I subconsciously holding back or is it just who I am?

I will always thank National Geographic for instilling this connection I have with nature and how I feel so close to God as I flip through pictures of scenery I will probably never see. I have not jumped on the recent DSLR camera bandwagon, so that rules me out of a potential job as Nat Geo photographer. But still, when I think of how this is all God's creation, how everything is supposed to work in harmony, the term "reverent awe" comes to mind. How your breath is just taken away. There is not a river or a mountain or waterfall or valley that is not supposed to be there. I think many Singaporeans can't grasp how big the world is. They embarrass themselves in front of foreigners by thinking that "country", "city" and "state" all mean the same thing.

I've always said I like traveling, but I never had a concrete reason why. I'm not an adventurous person. I can't learn new languages well. I can get easily flustered in big crowds. But now, in addition to all the other reasons that are for traveling, I can say that getting out of our tiny red dot is a subtle reminder of God's greatness reflected in the sheer physical size of our planet earth. The fact that we have to fly for hours. All that passes beneath and above and around us as the plane flies is God's creation. If even man can be so awed by the heights of mountains and the vastness of the seas, how much more are we in awe of a God to whom mountains bow down and the seas will roar?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home